Effective Georgetown Lawyer Represents Clients Accused of DUI Offenses
Kentucky attorney works to challenge evidence and protect motorists’ rights
Whether you’re facing your first DUI or a subsequent charge that could subject you to enhanced penalties, Larmour Law Offices, PSC offers effective advice and advocacy. Located in Georgetown, our firm represents central Kentucky clients in DUI cases and other types of criminal defense matters. We make sure that you receive the authoritative, straightforward counsel that you deserve as we work to minimize any sentence and help you move ahead in your life.
Skillful attorney helps drivers minimize or eliminate drunk driving penalties
Many motorists arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs are unfamiliar with the criminal justice system or the consequences of a conviction. Before making any decisions, it’s important to get advice from a qualified Kentucky DUI defense lawyer on potential penalties such as:
- License suspension — First DUI offenses may result in the suspension of driving privileges for a period running from 30 to 120 days. Subsequent drunk driving convictions within a 10-year period can lead to harsher penalties, including a license suspension of 12 months for a second offense and 24 months for a third.
- Fines — Monetary penalties start at $200 for individuals who haven’t previously been convicted of DUI. Previously convicted drunk drivers must pay higher fines.
- Incarceration — The minimum jail sentence for a first offender who is guilty of DUI in Kentucky is 48 hours. Incarceration times increase with each subsequent conviction in a five-year period and if certain aggravating circumstances exist.
In some cases, you may be able to obtain a hardship license so that you can begin driving to work, school, medical appointments or substance-abuse treatment during the suspension period. Our firm can prepare the necessary documentation if you are eligible to obtain this type of relief. No matter what led to your DUI arrest, we will make sure you understand the relevant law and how it applies to you. From there, we’ll work together to pursue the best possible result.
Ignition interlock devices as alternatives to license suspension
Under Kentucky’s revised Ignition/DUI Law, persons convicted of a DUI now have the option of having their licenses suspended for six to 60 months (depending on whether the offense was a first, second, third or fourth offense) or using an ignition interlock device from four to 30 months (again depending on the number of prior DUI offenses) and remaining on the road.
This is a significant change designed to encourage individuals to modify their behavior by driving sober. An ignition interlock device, which is installed on the driver’s vehicle, prevents the car from starting if a breathalyzer detects that the driver has a certain blood-alcohol level.
Although there is a cost associated with the use of an ignition interlock device, it may be reasonable considering that the individual can continue to drive for work and other activities.
Our attorney understands the new law and uses it to achieve outcomes that allow clients to continue their daily lives without undue burden while staying in compliance with law.
Knowledgeable advisor outlines factors used in DUI sentencing decisions
Though any instance of driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is serious, state law lists six aggravating circumstances that increase DUI penalties:
- Operating a vehicle more than 30 miles per hour over the speed limit
- Driving in the wrong direction
- Causing an accident that results in serious injury or death
- Providing a blood alcohol test of .15 percent or higher
- Refusing to submit to an intoxication test
- Driving with a passenger who is less than 12 years old
If there is a possibility that one or more of these factors will be used against you, we will review the situation exhaustively and address any allegations that might make your sentence tougher.
Contact an accomplished Kentucky lawyer if you’re accused of a DUI offense
Larmour Law Offices, PSC in Georgetown handles DUI defense matters for central Kentucky clients, along with other legal concerns. Please call 859-813-5614 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation.
Discounts are available for military personnel, nurses, teachers, police officers and firefighters.