Effective Georgetown Lawyer Represents Clients Accused of DUI Offenses
Kentucky attorney works to challenge evidence and protect motorists’ rights
Whether you’re facing your first charge for driving under the influence of alcohol or a subsequent charge that could subject you to enhanced penalties, Larmour Law Offices, PSC offers effective advice and advocacy. Located in Georgetown, our firm represents central Kentucky clients in DUI cases and other types of criminal defense matters. We make sure that you receive the knowledgeable straightforward counsel that you deserve as we work together to minimize any sentence and help you move ahead in your life.
Skillful firm helps drivers minimize and eliminate drunk driving penalties
Many motorists who are arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs are unfamiliar with the criminal justice system or the consequences of a conviction. Before making any decisions, it’s important to get advice from a qualified Kentucky DUI defense lawyer on potential penalties such as:
- License suspension — First DUI offenses result in the suspension of driving privileges for a period running from 30 to 120 days. Subsequent drunk driving convictions within a 10-year period lead to harsher penalties, including a license suspension of at least 12 months for a second offense and 24 months for a third.
- Fines — Monetary penalties start at $200 for individuals who haven’t previously been convicted of driving under the influence. Previously convicted drunk drivers must pay higher fines.
- Ignition interlock devices — When returning to the road after a DUI conviction, motorists can be required to install an ignition interlock device on their vehicle, which prevents a car from starting if a breathalyzer detects that the driver has consumed alcohol.
- Incarceration — The minimum jail sentence for a first offender who is guilty of DUI in Kentucky is 48 hours. However, incarceration times increase with each subsequent conviction in a five-year period and if certain aggravating circumstances exist.
In some cases, you may be able to obtain a hardship license so that you can begin driving to work, school, medical appointments or substance-abuse treatment during the suspension period. Our firm can prepare the necessary documentation if you are able to obtain this type of relief. No matter what led to your DUI arrest, we will make sure you understand the relevant law and how it applies to you. From there, we’ll work together to pursue the best possible result.
Knowledgeable adviser outlines factors used in DUI sentencing decisions
Though any instance of driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is serious, state law lists six aggravating circumstances that increase DUI penalties:
- Operating a vehicle more than 30 miles per hour over the speed limit
- Driving in the wrong direction
- Causing an accident that results in serious injury or death
- Providing a blood alcohol test of .15 percent or higher
- Refusing to submit to an intoxication test
- Driving with a passenger who is less than 12 years old
Whether or not you believe that one or more of these factors will be used against you, we will review the situation exhaustively and address any allegations that might make your sentence tougher.
Contact an accomplished Kentucky lawyer if you’re accused of a DUI offense
Larmour Law Offices, PSC in Georgetown handles DUI defense matters for central Kentucky clients, along with other legal concerns. Please call 859-813-5614 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation.
Discounts are available for military personnel, nurses, teachers, police officers and firefighters.